Let’s face it. The past couple of weeks have not been easy. With home-based learning and working from home, on top of the anxiety regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s hard to stay focused and present. All these can especially be tough when you have a cat, a territorial animal that will demand for your attention every now and then :p
1. Your cat will sit on your laptop when you are writing a paper that's due tomorrow or decide that it’s playtime when you’re halfway through an online meeting. Now imagine these scenarios play out, but with a gang of cats.
2. Cats are always looking for the warmest spot to sit on. Since I’ve been sitting on my chair and using my laptop for hours, both my chair and my laptop are their most favourite warmest spots to nap on.
3. Besides looking for the warmest spots, they’ll also look for a space that has my scent - my side of the bed. When your cat comes into your bed and sleeps with you or on you, it is a way for them to show affection and to mark their territory.
4. If you’re still struggling to focus on your work because your cats are invading your personal space, a cardboard box might just do the trick.
5. While working from home, it’s important to remind yourself to take breaks, and this is the perfect opportunity to spend some time with your cats. Besides using your typical cat toys, be creative and spice things up a little. Use a pencil as a “cat stick toy”, or a small piece of cardboard. If you’re tired but would still love to play with your cats, let them watch some interactive videos online — they will go crazy over videos of insects running around. Just sit back, relax and watch them get all excited and playful.
Having to stay home with my cats for long periods of time is definitely not easy, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. My cats have been great company during these trying times and I feel that this circuit breaker has tightened not only my relationship with my cats, but their relationship with each other as well.
Looking at the brighter side it, things get less lonely when you have your furry friends with you!
Photos & article by Syazana, edited by Rajes. Featuring Abang, Guest, Kakak, Adik & Catty